Friday, January 1, 2010

Dreamer (Diana), Day 239

A new year. I didn't dream about what I would be doing in this new year, but some how we made it happen. I have been putting it out to the universe for a long time that I need a change in my life. I just didn't know what it was going to be. A tenure track job? Unemployment? Making books for people? But a few weeks ago an opportunity presented itself and Gerald and I decided to run with it. In a few days we will be the new owners of a small local business called Two Hands Paperie. I worked there for a few years apprenticing with the owner, Diana Phillips, as a bookbinder. It's been amazing how all the pieces are so easily falling into place and the synchronicity of it all. The image of the camera above is just another piece in the puzzle. It's called a Diana camera and it seemed very fitting for today's image given that it is one of my favorite toy cameras (this one is around a woman's neck that I met today), it is named Diana, and it says "dreamer" on the lens. Even though I didn't dream the specifics of this coming year I do believe that everything begins with my mind (conscious and unconscious) to set the wheels in motion.

6 comments:

  1. Mia -- this is very exciting! I love that store! Several years ago I signed up to take a bookbinding class there, but it was canceled. Last time I checked, they weren't offering the classes anymore, but I would still SO LOVE to take one sometime -- formally or otherwise. Please let me know if you ever teach one.

    Congratulations, and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,

    Thanks for writing. We will definitely have classes again. My goal is to start them late February. I hope to see you in the store sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Hands Paperie? You mean that lovely store on Pearl? Congratulations! We'll visit you there in the summer if not sooner (we are in that area often). I wish the new year will bring you a lot of luck and happiness (and great photos too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia, I took your electronic book making class at CU over the summer, and check in on this blog every now and again. I am excited to hear that you bought the store, and would love classes on book making and other paper/photo projects! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susannah and Ning! Please come into the store for a visit. Eventually we will have classes again! Here's to a great 2010 for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh how I crave two hands paperie. Now I crave it more. I will have to shop online. Miss you MIA!

    ReplyDelete