Saturday, September 5, 2009

Present past, Day 121

I started skimming through a book today that I read many years ago. It's called "Why People Photograph" by Robert Adams. On the first page he quotes Jean-Luc Goddard in reference to one of his films about modernity- "the future is more present than the present." In contemplating this quote with regards to photography I want to modify it and say "the past is more present than the present." This becomes particularly true when viewing snapshots where we are visually taken back to a particular experience. But do we ever really remember the experience, or does the photograph itself represent involuntary memory? Will I come to remember these photoraphs that I am taking to document the year as actual events or will they simply represent the project and the supporting memories will cease to exist? I am on my own quest as to why I photograph and at this point I am coming up with more questions than answers. Perhaps it will become clear in another 244 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment