Monday, August 24, 2009

Steps to take, Day 109

I am back to my everyday life teaching in the classroom at CU Boulder. In my first class today I had my art students make a list of one month, one year, 5 year, and 10 year goals related to making art. They had to list five under each category and then write one step they need to take to make each goal happen. It's a good exercise, especially recognizing the steps. Here is my list:

Within One Month:
-Apply to Morris Graves Museum for solo show...finish and mail application.
-Make piece for show in Oaxaca....photograph.
-Start romance novel mandala...start folding book pages
-Complete boxes for Naropa...get back into the studio.
-Learn how to use my video camera...read owner's manual and shoot.

Within One Year:
-Travel to Colombia for my solo show in August 2010...save $
-Finish book business website...shoot photos, edit, write text
-Create personal website for my art work...find a template and start loading info
-Finish 39+ project...keep photographing everyday, no matter what!
-Have a book commercially published...submit project to publishers

Within Five Years:
-Quit teaching as an adjunct instructor...apply for tenure track jobs.
-Go to Bali and make art, learn language, and travel...Make more $ and save
-Live in Croatia for an extended period of time...Make more $ and save
-Travel to Vietnam and work on my war memorial project...find grants and save $
-Get a grant to produce an artist book edition...research and apply for grants

Within Ten Years:
-Have my 3rd book commercially published...keep making art
-Get a Fulbright and move out of the country...apply
-Get tenure at tenure track job...keep making art
-Make most of my money from my art...keep making art
-Build a home and studio that are completely off grid...find the right piece of land then give $ to husband and son to build it

2 comments:

  1. Mia

    This is such an awesome idea!!!
    Not only are you going after your own goals and dreams but you are teaching the next generation how to do it too. Not only by passing on your knowledge and skills but more importantly by example. You are truly an inspirational woman.

    I came across your blog by chance but will now be following with interest.

    Bronwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback and your excitement about my project and what I am doing Bronwen! I am so happy when people stumble upon the images. I hope the idea of making the list is helpful in your own life process.

    -Mia

    ReplyDelete