Saturday, August 15, 2009

One hundred+, Day 100

Yesterday I received a gift from my father. He sends me the most unusual presents, often originating from the Long Beach flea market. Yesterday's parcel was a long mailing tube and inside was a very old painting (120+ years) from Tibet. It is amazingly beautiful, detailed, and large (approximately 60" x 47"). There are many gold accents throughout the piece which he was told are real gold leaf. The backside has 4 red hand prints which he was also told are blessings from the priests. He purchased 6 of these paintings in total, all different, which he distributed throughout the family. The painting has a strong presence, one that is awe inspiring. Owning one of the six paintings emphasizes a new and different connection I have with the other owners, one that was enhanced by my father's generosity and thoughtfulness. I feel like I am the protector of this painting, that it doesn't really belong to me, but I am watching over it until it is passed on to someone else. I have never before felt like this about an object, and it makes me reflect on all the other things I "own"...that everything is temporarily on loan until it moves on or I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment