Thursday, May 7, 2009

And so it begins...

Today is the beginning of a new project. A visual diary of the year to come. I have made a commitment to myself to carry my camera everywhere so I can record what is going on around me. I will choose one image to represent the day, but each image will in some way visually connect to the previous day's image.

How this project formulated in my mind began with a collaborative assignment my photography students participated in a number of years ago with students at a school in Medellin, Colombia. We called the project "Broken Telephone" based on the whispered word game that is played in a circle. One player whispers a phrase into the ear of the person sitting next to them and it gets whispered around the circle until the last person says outloud what they heard. The phrase or word usually is nothing like what it started out as. Each of my students sent an image to Medellin, then they responded to an image, and sent it back to us, which was then passed to a third and different person in another class. It was great fun and some wonderful image combinations were created and revealed at the end of the "game."

I have given myself the same assignment, but the game will be played only by me to see where this next year leads. I have titled the project "39+" because today, the day I began the project, is my 39th birthday.


1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to keeping track of your visual journey and insights as you wander through your 'middle' year Mia. I'm sure there will be surprises. This will make a good teaching example. Thanks. Roddy

    ReplyDelete