Friday, May 15, 2009

Layers of meaning, Day 9

I have a collection of romance novels that I tear apart and transform into other sculptural pieces. I usually just photograph the sculptural work to document it, but I decided to photograph a work in progress and place it in a different context. I am fascinated my the formal aspects of printed books- the margin, the pattern of the text on the page, the quality of the paper, the covers, and the layers of the pages themselves. I recently had a discussion with another artist about the future of books in the digital age. He argued that they are an obsolete technology, but I countered his argument by pointing out that they have been around for hundreds of years and you don't have to plug them in.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about that the other day. I think we have more quest for knowledge and yes we get some of it on the internet. But it's more satisfying reading something in print. My guess is there are more publications in print than there were 10 years ago. It's worth doing a little research to find out. I think I will research that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but think about how the newspaper industry is going, and the new kindle which has been a long time coming. Libraries are already offering downloads of audio books. I think they'll be around for awhile, but are going to go into decline.
    Aside from this I love the materiality of them. I think they'll make a post apocalyptic comeback though.
    SS

    ReplyDelete