Friday, May 29, 2009

Creation or Destruction, Day 23

I do not consider myself a writer. A writer writes text- words on paper, words on a computer screen. These words may eventually be housed in a book, but a writer does not write books. I am a book artist. Recently my artwork utilizes published pages from books to create a new piece of work. I love to read, but I also love to take books apart and reassemble the pages so that the text no longer functions with its original intention. In my books, text is recognizable as printed letters on the page but the writer's words are lost in my translation. Jorge Luis Borges wrote: "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." My paradise would be filled with letters simply functioning as patterns on the printed page. Perhaps this is really what a book is, it just depends on how it is translated.

No comments:

Post a Comment