Monday, May 18, 2009

LA LA Land, Day 12

My dad and step-mom live in Mt. Washington above the city of Los Angeles in a house that my father designed. It is a unique structure made from concrete, glass, and steel. I am staying here while I visit my dad in the hospital. It has been a bit strange not having him in the house while I visit, so today I decided to walk around the house photographing objects that remind me of him. This is a piece of rusty metal from an old Coca cola sign which hangs in the kitchen/dining room area. It's actually one of my favorite objects in the house. I photographed the sign just because I liked it and not because I thought it would relate well with the previous day's image. As I was making my image selection I was struck by how similar the shapes of the "L" and "A" look like the noodles dangling from the chopsticks. It is my goal with this project to make this happen visually, but I am very happy when I only become aware of it after the images are dumped from the camera and I am able to place images side by side. This is significant because I feel I am working from an intuitive place rather than forcing a connection.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, I really like that sign too. It feels very incongruous with the rest of the art in the house.

    ReplyDelete