Sunday, June 7, 2009

Art, Day 32

When my son makes "art" he just makes it. He experiments with materials and how he applies them to the paper. He doesn't over analyze it before he places a mark on the page. When he is done sometimes I ask him what his piece is about. There is always a story behind it. Some adventure that he has gone on or something he has seen. He works intuitively. Sometimes they end up in the recycle bin but usually they end up in his "portfolio" where all his work is stored. He does a little (or a lot) everyday. I love watching him work because it reminds me of where we all come from. A place where anything you do is just fine, because you did. It doesn't need to be labeled "good" or "bad," it's just yours and that is enough. I would like to get back to that place. To do something for the sheer joy of doing it without my judgement interfering.

No comments:

Post a Comment