Sunday, June 28, 2009

Character lines, Day 53

Our house is over 100 years old. When we first bought it the wallpaper under the paint drove me crazy. I thought I could never get used to seeing the lumps in the walls and we would remove it completely. Who paints over wallpaper anyways? And who puts it on the ceiling? After attempting to remove MANY layers without destroying the plaster underneath we came to the realization that the wallpaper is what is probably holding the walls of our house in place...better to just leave it be. Now I just view it as one of the many unique characteristics of our unique little house. I wake up to a lumpy ceiling and an ugly light fixture every morning, but as I photograph my environment everyday I am really beginning to appreciate these unique qualities. With so many cookie cutter houses sitting in walled off subdivisions, wallpaper on the ceiling is a bit refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment